What are we teaching our kids...


Sometimes I'm so one minded and focused.  Then when I least expect it, The Lord has a funny way of stopping me in my tracks to remind me of the sweet blessings in my life and remind me of what's most important.

Proverbs 22:6

English Standard Version (ESV)
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
You see, when I woke up this morning, this is what awaited me.  


This is not an unusual sight.  I'm not trying to imply that "this" particular child is superb.  The timing of it all was just the sweetest reminder to me.  Both of my girls are precious but very different.  Lexie, like me is a morning person. Lanie on the other hand prefers to spend her time with The Lord at the end of the day.   For one thing, it's seeing and knowing that you're doing something right.  As I "train up" my children, are they encouraged to spend time with The Lord?  It's a very regular and normal occurrence to see Lanie with her Bible open every single evening and on her own, in her own time with no prompting from me.  With Lexie, I might daily ask if she's had her time yet with The Lord.  On this particular morning I was just so tired & slept in a bit longer.  It's little nuggets like this that encourage me as a Mom. In a world filled with striving for "more", "bigger" and "better" on the plateau of finances or stuff, it does remind me that "more" of Christ is what it's all about.  As Piper says in the video below, we may have a span of about 80 years in a lifetime to do what Christ has called us to do.  Looking at that perspective, I'm more than half way through my life if He gives me that long.  Then again, He could choose to take me tomorrow.  Perhaps half of my opportunity to make a difference for Him is gone, it's time that I can never recapture.  What am I teaching my kids?  Where am I pointing them?  Also, what is the world telling them?  Unfortunately, the world says, You've got to get a great job, have lots of money, drive an awesome car, wear the best clothes, have a big house, a lot of money in the bank & be ready for retirement.  The world preaches "the one with the most stuff wins!"  Where does this thought of prosperity ever point to Christ?  In no way are things or money in them selves bad but to live for and strive for them is absolutely wrong, it's idolatry!  Lord help us as we shepherd our children!  

1 Peter 5:8

English Standard Version (ESV)
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

This devil is nondiscriminatory, he is seeking anyone, even our kids!  Their minds are young, sweet and very impressionable.  If we teach them selfish ambition they will grow into selfish adults.  They have their entire lives ahead, so much more time than I do.  My prayer is that they won't have to look back on their lives and realize that they've spent so much time being consumed with self and stuff.  God help us for not realizing the danger of this and how deeply and eternally it impacts our children.

Have a look at the video from John Piper below.  It is several minutes long but it's an incredible word on the danger of the prosperity gospel.  So many have bought into it and are training up their children in this mentality.  We believe it's our right to have more.  We've earned it.  We want to have more than our neighbors.  We want to give our kids more than we ever had or want them to have what we never did.  Again, I'm not saying these things are bad.  Oh my word, don't we want to give them more Jesus than we ever had?!  Don't we want them to have a relationship with Christ that far surpasses that of what we did at their age?!  YES!  This should be the cry of our hearts, that our Children would know Him and desire Him more.  That they are not so consumed with vanity, money & self.  Our world promotes self, it's all about me!  No no no.  Selfish, spoiled children grow into selfish, spoiled adults.  Are we loving our children enough to point them towards the most precious inheritance they could ever receive.  Are we teaching them to store up treasures in Heaven.  Lord, I hope so!  All of these things on earth will fade away, hope is eternal.

John 3:30

English Standard Version (ESV)
30 He must increase, but I must decrease.”[a]



Thanks for reading.  Please feel free to share your thoughts with me!  May the Lord be with you as you strive to seek Christ and point your children to Him daily.  The rewards are truly greater than we could ever imagine!

Comments

Popular Posts