When we bought this house, it wasn't what we'd originally planned on. For years, we'd planned to buy some land and build our forever home. 

Instead, we got our forever land with a house that didn't quite feel like home.

The journey to change things, bring them up to date and make this place ours has been fun.  We still have several projects to do but don't we all.  I mean really, we always have a list of things we want to get done. Y'all, it's not just me, right?

Anyway...I didn't love the laundry room.  I'm sure in it's day it was glorious but it was not a place I wanted to spend a great portion of my day. 


It's a huge space with tons of storage. On that back wall that you can't see is a closet with two sliding doors and TONS of shelves.  This room had a lot going for it and then, it didn't.  Look close, you'll see tiny terra-cotta pots with flowers all over the wallpaper. Mmmm, just not me.  The whole thing just wasn't working. 


We decided (well I decided) that cosmetic changes would be huge.  

The first thing was to retire that wallpaper and brighten up the walls.  That was amazing but...the terra-cotta countertop. It also had to go! I wanted butcher block and did a lot of shopping.  Butcher block can be super expensive but my budget was cheap.  **links and sources shared at the bottom :) 



 The walls are now bright and crisp. 


Changing the paint and removing the counter top made a huge difference! It already looked so much better!


This room was starting to take shape! Swooning! 


I loved that  I could do some of the work myself.

When staining, work in small sections.  I apply stain with a brush and then wipe off the excess.  The initial shade of stain had a bit more depth than I wanted so I gave it a few days to really penetrate that butcher block.  Once it had reached a shade I loved, I started sealing.  I currently have 4 coats of sealer on.  I'll eventually install a sink here.  At that time, I'll add a few additional coats of sealer just to make sure my wood is protected and won't be damaged by water. 

So...how about the finished product? 











And here it is! I'm so pleased with the way everything turned out.  It's clean and simple but it's me.  My light is just a little bit over the top but it couldn't fit this space more perfectly.  

I really believe you should enjoy your home. This is my forever home and I want each nook and cranny to put a smile on my face.  (We won't talk about the master bathroom right now.  That's a project yet to happen.)

What's your design style?  

Do you think that small changes can change the look of a room and your mood?  I do! :)


Sources:  

Knobs:        https://amzn.to/37dQyQZ
Laundry Hamper:  https://amzn.to/2RD2uFz
Butcher Block Countertop: shorturl.at/vIMQR
Stain (Dark Walnut) :   https://low.es/2NKdhMW
Wall Color: Sherwin Williams, Alabaster
Floors: LVT
Diffuser and natural cleaning products: http://yl.pe/v4n

Comments

Popular Posts