Ever Pulled Oil???

Well...this isn't my typical "oily" post but it's pretty much a trending topic.  If you haven't ever heard of the term "oil pulling" pull up a chair and have a read. 



This seems to be a trendy thing but its not new.  Oil Pulling is an ancient remedy for tooth and gum problems that hails from India. It is renowned for providing natural teeth whitening and strengthening and nourishing the gums. Oil pulling is the act of swishing a natural oil around in the mouth first thing every morning to clean and nourish the teeth and gums. It is said to remove plaque and eliminate toxins as well as providing overall health and wellness benefits.

Studies show that oil pulling has excellent benefits for oral health. It can help strengthen the teeth, gums, and jaw; whiten teeth; prevent bad breath; prevent dryness of the mouth, lips, and throat; prevent mouth diseases like cavities and gingivitis; and treat soreness of the jaw. It’s also been thought that oil pulling has many benefits that extend way beyond oral health, although this has yet to be proven scientifically. Examples include reduced headaches, kidney function support, general pain relief, reduced insomnia, and general detoxification of the body, just to name a few.  So, the benefits sound pretty good right?!?!

Ok, so that's all the technical stuff.  Let me just lay it all out for you.




Coconut Oil is not "oily" when the temperature is above a certain temperature.  It's actually a solid substance that doesn't melt until it's been in the warmth of your mouth for a couple of minutes.  Initially, it's pretty stinkin' gross!  You only need about a teaspoon, a little goes a long way!  Everything I've read says that you should swish for 20 minutes. The first time I did it I couldn't get past 10 minutes.  I'm up to 20 minutes but it's still quite a challenge.  Let me caution you, when you feel as though you may erupt, DO NOT SPIT IN YOUR SINK OR TOILET.  This is an oil and will do some damage to your plumbing because it will solidify.  Make sure you spit in a trash can. 

Once I spit, my mouth actually feels very clean.  My teeth feel clean and do look much whiter.  It's a practice I'll have to get used to but I think I'll continue to give it a go until my next dental visit and see if my Dentist has anything specific to say about my overall dental health.  So...are you intrigued?  Do give it a try and let me know what you think.  



Comments

Popular Posts