Renewed Faith

Each  Tuesday I wake up and prepare to head to the same place; a place that serves guests that are down on their luck, hungry for answers, in need of food or a nice hot shower, some attention, a smile or a bit of encouragement.  All of these things seem good enough, right?  The needs are real, the poverty is real, the pain is real.  The reality is something so much bigger; they need hope!  Some days I wonder if what we do is really making a difference.  Are we helping or enabling?  Will our guests be able to make a change in their lives that might allow them to be self sufficient.  Some truly want a better life.  To ask for help is difficult or even shameful but they have no choice.  Others know nothing else; it's a vicious cycle.  They grew up in it, they live it and their children will also live it.  

As today began, it was like any other busy Tuesday. We had lots of people; some familiar and some new.  Today was a day that reminded me just why we serve, why we open our doors.  Why we pride ourselves on not running a "food pantry".  They think they're coming for the food but the food is just an added bonus.  The best thing we can offer our guests is Christ!  Each of our guests hears incredible, life changing truth.  They hear The Gospel.  Today, one of our sweet guests, 83 years young prayed to receive Christ.  It was a precious sight!  What a precious man he is.  He journey's to see us often.  His trek to us is probably difficult.  He leaves his wife at home who suffers from the effects of a stroke.  He walks or even hitchhikes to the nearest public bus stop.  He then changes busses a couple of times before he even makes it to us.  I imagine that his journey is quite long but he continues to come, I'm glad he does.  His brown eyes hold great kindness.  He's shared a bit of his past with me, it hasn't been easy.  He dearly loves his wife of 42 years.  He said that she's always worked to lead him to Christ.  He just never really "got it".  Today, He finally got it!  His sweet brown eyes filled with tears numerous times as we discussed the wonderful happenings of his visit with us today.  He had some incredible news to tell his wife as he arrived home today.  He asked me more than once, "Am I a Christian now?"  I told him he was a child of The King!  Even at his age I could see that it was something that gave him great joy!  It was something that touched me so deeply, to see The Lord move in the heart of this sweet, elderly man.  To be reminded that The Lord is still at work, regardless of demographics, income or age.  He still saves to the uttermost!  I so wish that I could have been there as he arrived home to share this news with his sweet wife.  He told me that she'd prayed for him for years.  What a sweet blessing it must have been to learn that The Lord had finally answered her prayer request for her husband. 


Please continue to pray for my friend as he begins this new life.  He was proud to tell me that he does own a Bible with his name stamped on it, something his wife had purchased for him many years ago.  He told me that he had need of a Bible cover so he could carry it around with him!  I loved the enthusiasm in his voice at the thoughts of being able to carry around his bible.  

Thank you Lord for allowing me to share in such a beautiful display of your mercy and love! 

Comments

Popular Posts