What are you teaching your kids?

Let me preface this post by saying that I realize that some of my thoughts here might be offensive to some. If it's offensive, could it be that I've struck a nerve?  It's never my goal to be hurtful. If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know that I speak from the heart and always desire that my thoughts prompt you to think as well.

Being a parent is by far one of the hardest jobs ever.  Don't get me wrong, it's a gift that I'm eternally grateful for.  I adore my kids!  Being a Mom is what I've always wanted.  Lately, I see things and hear things that make me so sad.  I'm also questioning and considering my actions and words more than I ever have in the past. I have a daughter who will soon be driving.  I think about our rides to school and "how" I drive.  When she's driving in a car without me, how will she drive?  Will she be safe?  Will she consider her other passengers safety?  What example am I setting for her?

My husband just showed me a video of a little girl fussing at her Mom because she's always "snap chatting".  Yes, the child was funny.  For a child of no more than 3 years old, I thought she was very perceptive.  She's a toddler and scolding her Mom for the amount of time she's spending on her phone and not with her.  What example is this showing to a child?  When a child of such a small age discerns an amount of time focused on something other than her as excessive, this should be a wakeup call.  Right?   

Go in to any restaurant now a days.  Look at the families sitting at a table together.  Often times I see entire families completely disengaged with each other, so consumed with being in touch with everyone else, checking-in on Facebook, sharing with the world where they are, what they're eating, how they feel about every situation that they've encountered during the day.  Instagram * Snap Chat * Vine * Periscope * Twitter * Facebook * The world is so consumed with being in touch that they've forgotten what that really means.  Many kids have no idea how to communicate their feelings in a real life situation.  The basis of their communication is being done with their thumbs.  I'm afraid that all of this impersonal communication is creating kids who have no idea how to function in real social situations.  Unfortunately, many kids now a days don't know how to write a letter or address the envelope.  How is our love for social media and being in touch impacting our kids?  What happened to family meals, family time?!  In my home, we have a no phones rule at dinner.  Dinner is the one time a day that we have together, to catch up.  Our kids need for us to set that example for them, to hear from them, to show them that they matter, to hear their stories of praise and struggles.  

So often I watch the parents running through the car rider line at school in the morning and afternoon.  I can guarantee that certain parents will be on their phone as they come through the line, every single day.  I can also guarantee that the child who is their passenger will also adorn the same withdrawn face day after day.  They good bye in the AM is hurried and their arrival back into that very seat in the afternoon is barely acknowledged because parents are too busy!  Chalk it up to work or a friend having a really hard time.  What we're creating is kids who feel neglected and unimportant.  Again, what are we teaching our kids?

I keep hearing a commercial on the radio for Teen Challenge.  A girl was talking about her addiction to meth.  She had nowhere to go so she went back to her Father's home where they did meth together!  This entire thought is bewildering and heartbreaking to me!  I will say that her testimony went on to say that her Father was clean now and it sounds as though she is as well.  Whether your issue is meth, cigarettes, pills, marijuana, social media, TV, the internet or your friends and social life...The question remains...what are we teaching our kids?

I saw a little girl on a youtube video, rapping about her dead beat dad.  Five minutes of tears and putting up a brave, bold front.  Her words said she didn't care but at the same time she's expressing her hurt and frustration at his neglect, his choice of everything else over her, his lies and deception.  What is she learning from this man who she calls Dad?  

Parents * Adults * Grandparents * we are always being watched &  mimicked.  Our God given gift is the opportunity to raise up our kids, to love them, spend time with them, to mold them into the adults that they will one day be, to teach them to be a wife or husband, a Father or Mother, to be a leader, to love The Lord, to seek HIM with their whole heart, to trust Him when things are fabulous or wretchedly horrible. 

We have a gift, what are we doing with it?  

We have only one opportunity to get it right, what will you do with yours?  

What are you teaching your kids?


Comments

Popular Posts