Pondering that Proverbs 31 Woman

Yes, it's Halloween.  People are consumed with costumes, candy & events but not me.  It's not that I'm scrooge-ish, I just have more on my mind that consumes me.  As I sit down this morning to study & pray it only seems appropriate to read Proverbs 31 on the 31st day of the month.  I really want to look at it with a new perspective, I want a freshness to overwhelm me as well as conviction that may prompt me to more closely examine my own life and the way I live it. 

Much is to be said about this woman we read about in Proverbs 31:10-31.  To me, she's the epitome of the perfect woman. This woman has tremendously strong character, beautiful wisdom, tons of skills and a beautiful compassion.  She is referred to as an excellent wife and mother.  What might my family say about me in their conversations? What do my friends say about me?  I don't want to get hung up on what people say about me or for you to get the impression that anything I do is to please man...I'm not & I don't.  I do think it deserves some thought though.  This woman also seems to have every business skill you might ever need  to possess to be successful in any industry.  She's a manufacturer, importer, manager, realtor, farmer, seamstress, upholsterer & merchant!  In my day to day rituals & endeavors I know it can often be a struggle to successfully complete one item from my list.  Oh, how many distractions we have in our lives to keep us from what's really important, to keep our eyes focused on the true prize; computers, phones, TV, chores, errands...on & on.  There's always something that I just "have to do" quick, a call to make real fast, a stop to make...  In my "busy-ness" what am I really missing out on?  The woman in this chapter gets up when it's still night.  I don't know that she's really up in the night but maybe rather early in the morning before the sun is up.  Her work begins early as she cares for family as well as others.  She is referred to as having strength & dignity.  Strength seems to be easy enough to understand but what about dignity?  One definition says;  The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.  Although this woman has made incredible achievements, her achievements are a result of her reverence for God.  That'll get you...she has success, she has respect & is highly esteemed but it has nothing to do with her own merit.  Her walk with Christ enables her to do all things and she clearly gives it her all. 

Another thing here that is funny to me in thinking of todays times...We've put such focus on looks and what we see on the outside.  Really, we put so much emphasis on the physical appearance of ourselves & others and in this text, there is no emphasis on that what so ever.  Yesterday, I had the privilege to go with our choir to sing at a ministry in our community that misters to the homeless.  I recognized some because they visit us at Joe's Place but there was one man, I'd never seen before.  I smile as I think about this heavy black man.  As we sang, so did he, loudly!  He only hit one word here & there but what tenderness & joy he had as he sang those sweet praises to our God.  I don't know that he could have retained an entire song in his mind but the words he knew he sang with great vigor & enthusiasm.  He didn't look like me, dress like me or even smell like me but one thing he had that was truly beautiful was the glow of Christ!  In that old building in an old part of town, with all it's crumbling paint filled with streeet people, the Lord was lifted high.  I'm telling you, there was rejoicing in Heaven over these sweet angels with their tattered & filthy clothes.  I know that God didn't notice what they were wearing or that they probably hadn't bathed in days, he did notice their sweet praises directed to the one who deserves the praise.  What blessings might we be missing by passing some of them by?  Some people have truly just fallen upon hard luck and can't help the circumstances they've fallen into.  Just like me, they like to have a good conversation, be looked at in the eye & get hugged.  These are people, real people who just need to know they are loved, regardless of their financial status, address or distress.

How can I apply all of these words to my life?  Words that were possibly written hundreds of years before Christ even walked the earth?  Although the words are ancient, they are most certainly relevant.  This woman or these characteristics need to serve as an inspiration for me to be all I can be.  I think the big thing is to do all I do for His glory.  Am I?  Am I making great use of my time?  Am I spending time in prayer for my family?  Am I setting the example of godliness for them?  Can my husband praise me? Am I bringing him honor?  It's an awful lot to think about but the outcome is certainly worth it!

Comments

Popular Posts